Getting a divorce is possibly one of the biggest turning points in your life, so it’s important to ensure you are represented by someone you can trust to do their best for you. Here are eight tips for choosing a divorce lawyer who will be a good fit for your unique situation.
- Ask for recommendations from family and friends. Personal recommendations is one of the best places to start. If someone you know has been through a divorce and was satisfied with the work of their divorce lawyer, get that name! Always trust a happy client you know over an online review by someone you don’t.
- Do your research. While it’s important to take online reviews with a grain of salt, remembering that many people only take to the internet when they’re unhappy, there is a lot of good information you can get from some basic online searches. For instance, you can browse the website of a divorce lawyer and find out what kind of education and experience they have.
- Look for a focus on family law. When hunting for an attorney, steer clear of law firms that don’t mention family law on their websites or in their services. Ideally, you want a firm that focuses on family law. These are the lawyers that will be familiar with the process and have the experience to fairly represent your best interests.
- Ask about experience. You may have already found this information on the law firm’s website, but don’t hesitate to ask about a lawyer’s experience. They may have more to add than the website bio, and you can ask follow up questions if there’s anything more you’d like to know.
- Ask about money. Money is often the elephant in the room, but especially in many divorce situations, it’s a factor that you may need to know up front. Ask what you’ll need to pay up front as a retainer, what the ongoing costs will be, and whether there is an estimate for a total cost.
- Meet the lawyer who will work on your case. Many law firms have several lawyers on staff, including junior lawyers who may be assigned to the case after your consultation. Ask who will be handling your case, and be sure to meet them as well to make sure you like them as much as the senior lawyers.
- Watch for red flags. As with anything else, there are red flags that indicate you shouldn’t work with this person. If they make hard and fast promises about the outcome of your case, for instance, assume they’re a smooth talker and find another divorce attorney. The outcome of any divorce is actually difficult to predict, given a multitude of factors such as mediation and subjective decision making.
- Go with your gut. In the end, only you can decide which divorce lawyer is right for you. With numerous family law firms offering similar experience, it may come down to who you will work well with.
Choosing a divorce lawyer is a big decision and one not to be taken lightly. For more information about our family law firm or to meet our team, contact Simon Law Group, PLLC, today.