Bike accidents and injuries are an all too common and deadly Arizona occurrence. Over 750 people are killed annually in bicycle accidents in the U.S. Not surprisingly, children are frequent victims, since bicycles are an easy, legal and popular mode of transportation for many people today, for environmental and health purposes. Poor safety habits, especially not wearing a helmet, also contribute to the high rate of bicycle accident and injury. In addition, badly marked roads and poor driving are also common culprits of bike accidents. If you or a loved one has been injured in a bike accident in Arizona, please seek the advice of an experienced lawyer.
Bike Accident Statistics
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) offers the following statistics:
• Nearly all bicycle deaths are caused by accidents between bikes and motor vehicles.
• Over 20% of all biking fatalities in the U.S. are of children age 5-15.
• Bicycling results in more emergency room admissions than any other sport or activity.
• The most common cause of death from a bicycle accident is head and brain injury.
• Bicycle accidents which do not occur amid car traffic commonly happen in bike paths, driveways and parks.
The NHTSA recommends that all bicycle riders wear a protective helmet at all times while riding their bikes. Bike helmets have been shown to reduce the risk of head injury in a collision by up to 88%. Additionally, make all attempts as a rider to follow traffic and road regulations provided for bicyclists. Bicycling on roads that are designed for bikes can make traveling by bicycle safer and easier. Try to ride on roads with designated bike lines.
If you or someone close to you has been injured in a bicycle accident, contact an experienced and successful Phoenix personal injury attorney to help assess your rights. With over 29 years of experience, the Simon Law Group will provide a free and confidential consultation when you call 480-745-2450 or click on “Contact Our Firm” and we will E-mail you shortly. Please let us help you during this painful and difficult time.
Remember, Experience Matters!!!